Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Sir, I Challenge You to a Duel!

Why does anything surprise me anymore? Read what Rush Limbaugh had to say about the Pistons/Pacers brawl:

"Just rename the city of Detroit to 'New Fallujah, Michigan,' and then what happens at the palace of Auburn Hills will be understood by everybody who goes there."

*inhale*
1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9... 10...
*exhale*

OK. For those of you who are unaware, I'm originally from Detroit. Or more specifically, from the suburbs of Detroit - but closer to the city than Auburn Hills is, where the Pistons actually play. (Fun fact - I grew up in the same city as Eminem. Ooh!)

Alright. So now, did he really just fucking compare my home town to the base of operations of the insurgency in Iraq? In the 25 years that I lived there, I can't remember a single instance of a reporter being beheaded. Nope, don't remember anything like that. I can't remember ever seeing thousands of dead and dismembered bodies littering the streets - not even outside the raves I used to go to, (back in the good ol' days). Furthermore, I'm pretty sure, at least in the last quarter-century, they've not had a terrorist attack of any kind. So, Rush, what the FUCK are you talking about??

Good news - he continues:

By the way, has anybody noticed all these outbreaks, all this violence, all this stuff happens in blue cities, ladies and gentlemen? I mean, you don't see this happening in Charlotte. You don't see this sort of stuff happening. But you do see it happening out of Miami; you do see it happening in the blue cities out there. So, you know, call L.A. "New Mosul, California." You could call New York "Baghdad, New York," and this helps people put this in perspective. But you just listen. You listen to all these ex-NBA players saying, "I'm not going to get dissed. Any fan touches me is going to get his head knocked off." You're going to hear that said all over the place. It's all about this hip-hop culture not getting dissed and not being embarrassed in terms of your manhood and all this.

I'd like to pretend that I thought of this, but as they point out in Salon, did Rush not see the huge fight in South Carolina just THIS PAST WEEKEND!?! Refresh me, Rush - is South Carolina a blue state or a red state? Ass.

Anyhow, his two comments are linked by two things - racism and wild irresponsible generalizations. Typical, I suppose.

No comments: