Monday, November 15, 2004

Binge and Purge (cont.)

As Emery wrote yesterday, the purge is on at the CIA.

In their own words:
"Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats."

But of course, since the CIA is traditionally a non-partisan agency supposedly kept above politics and infighting, what they really mean is, "get rid of anyone who disagreed with Bush." Now, let's think about that - we know for a fact that most everything Bush said about Iraq was false; doesn't that make anyone who disagrees with Bush, correct? And wouldn't that mean that anyone who actually got the intelligence right is about to be fired? And everyone who got it wrong is about to be promoted? What the fuck is this, bizarro world? Up is down, black is white, wrong is right... oh wait. I forgot who I was talking about.

What's more important, Mr. President? Our fucking safety or your crusade against reality? Sigh... I forgot again.

Anyway, the thing that really bothers me, and I'm not sure I can put it into words - but doesn't this talk about purging people with ideological differences just reek of Thought Police and the Ministry of Love? I know Orwell references are too easy, but as another (better) blogger once said, "I'll stop making Orwell references when the Bush people stop using 1984 as their political playbook."

No comments: