Monday, June 26, 2006

Way Back Machine

It's a strange coincidence, this evening. People have been telling me for months that I have to watch the 9/11 conspiracy movie Loose Change. People I trust and respect, (I'm looking at you, Minority Whip!). I watched it tonight, and it moved me enough to get up off my ass and jot down a few comments on DoG.

As I bring up my Safari browser to hop onto Blogger, I glimpse that the lede on my selected home page Salon.com is a story determined to debunk this very film. Awesome! Now I can be set straight by my beloved Salon and I can move on to watching The Daily Show without feeling humiliated in the metaphorical morning after having had put my conspiracy ramblings in "print."

One problem - Salon does no such thing. They present the story very much the same as Sean Hannity himself would - with the attitude that anyone who doesn't believe the official government storyline is a complete crackpot.

So on to my comments. Watch the film; it's about an hour long. I have neither the time nor the inclination to go into the (extensive) science behind many of the film's claims (e.g. - the melting point of steel, or the temperature and speed at which jet fuel burns), so I'm taking them with a grain of salt. In fact, I would argue that many of the film's assertions are incorrect or misguided. But they quote ABC, NBC, CNN, CBS, the Washington Post, the New York Times, international government agencies and even FoxNews to make many of their points. They use film footage and (possibly dubious) eyewitness accounts. They take history, an open mind and the luxury of the experiences of the past five years into account to draw conclusions. With all that in mind, I doubt that alleged gold in the basement of the WTC had anything to do with anything. And I have no idea about dropping off all the passengers in Cleveland.

But if the past five years have taught us anything, we know that George W. Bush is a monster capable of anything due to his unquenchable thirst for unchecked power, and I have no reason to doubt many of the facts (Bush's brother in charge of security in the WTC, a titanium jet engine has never completely disintegrated in a jet fuel fire, unreleased security tapes (which I remember hearing about that very day), among others) presented in the film - most of which are undisputed in the Salon story.

I'm not one to dive into whackjob conspiracy theories, but as you are aware, I am ever-vigilant in the battle against fascism, and as such I think this film needs a viewing. Much of it might be complete bullshit, but by now, shouldn't all of our questions be answered? After five years shouldn't there be no doubt as to the events of September 11th? After you watch this film, you will see that at the very least - doubt remains.

No comments: