Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Kidsploitation

I’m going to be serious very briefly, and then I promise to get back to the ungay and astronauts in diapers. I’m not usually one to be too interested in the latest Missing White Girl frenzy. But this one has an added element of disgust that warrants attention, namely – Bill O’Reilly.

I’m sure you’ve heard about that poor kid Shawn Hornbeck who was kidnapped when he was 11 years old and held captive for four years. Now it’s come out that he was repeatedly sodomized – several times per day at first, and at least once a month after that. Horrible. What you might not be aware of -- because you’re smart and don’t watch cable news -- is that Mr. Bill O’Reilly had accused this now 15 year old boy of conspiring to stay with his kidnapper because it was “more fun” than going to school and doing chores at home.

O’REILLY: The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around do what he wanted.

GRETA VAN SUSTEREN: Some kids like school.

O‘REILLY: I don't believe this kid today. I think when it all comes down, what's going to happen is there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstance.
Yeah, real classy. But even after all these detailed abuse charges have come out, he has not apologized, retracted or in any way officially recanted his previous remarks about how much the boy enjoyed his four year stay in casa de torture. But really, even that’s not why I’m writing this post – that’s pretty much par for the course for Blustery Bill.

No, the reason I’m writing is because Bill O’Reilly is the keynote speaker next month at a National Center for Missing and Exploited Children $500/plate fundraiser. As recently as last week, the Center stands by their choice. Isn’t that just a little bizarre?

I think so. I doubt there’s much I can do, but since I have this tiny little platform from which to speak, I’m asking you to join me in contacting the Center and politely asking them why they haven’t asked O’Reilly either for an apology or for him to back out of their fundraiser. You can contact them here. I’m sure they relish the thought of making all that money, and I know they’d put it to good use. But they should think about how they’ll feel the morning after – after Bill O’s left the money on the nightstand and they have to get out of bed and look at themselves in the mirror.

No comments: