Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Moral Authority


Pat Robertson, who co-founded the Christian Broadcast Network with executive producer Jesus Christ, is proselytizing his new interpretation of everyone’s favorite of the Ten Commandments. Speaking about Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, he said:

"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson said. "It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war ... and I don't think any oil shipments will stop."
What’s a little murder among friends, right Pat? I’m no fan of Hugo, but wow, I must have missed a week of Catechism or something.

Yeah. It’s great to be back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Michael-- we've missed you!

Matthew Smith said...

You guys are better at this than me, but someone should hunt down the Donny Rumsfeld speech when he responded to Robertson's "suggestion". Rummy said something to the point of "this country never has and never will support the assassination of foreign leaders." Good God, I honestly thought he was joking. I wouldn't want to play poker with that one...

The Pat quote and the Sonny pic make for an interesting theory: perhaps the Bush administration is really run like a mafia family (that is, if the mafia, or cosa nostra really existed...which they don't. Are we clear? They really don't exist, just like global warming). Figuring out the capos and lieutenants are easy; what's hard is determining who is the Junior Soprano-like figurehead -- GDubs or JC Superstar?